No one can resist magical smoky flavor of food that comes out of a charcoal grill. Be it chicken, ribs or steak, charcoal grills are best to grill them and to incorporate smoky flavor.
And having a best charcoal grill will undoubtedly give excellent results. But what is the best charcoal grill on the market? Or which is best steak charcoal grill? and the list of questions continues. So here we are to help you in your quest of buying best charcoal grill.
Life of any BBQ party is good delicious food. And if you love throwing outdoor parties, one sure thing is to serve tasty food. When tasty food gets smoky flavor, it becomes an unforgettable combination. And this is possible using a best charcoal grill.
Hosting Guest for the BBQ? Don’t worry we got your back
Your guest will load you with tons of compliments all because of smokey flavor they are going to enjoy when cooked in good charcoal grill. One thing to note about grilling food using charcoal grill is, slow cooking process. Because it takes more time to grill food, you get more time to spend with family and friends.
So conclusively, charcoal grills are best way to make delicious food as well as spend time with loved ones. So without wasting much time, let us begin our best charcoal grill reviews of 2019.
- 1 Top Rated Charcoal Barbecue Grills Reviews
- 2 1. Weber 741001 Original Kettle Charcoal Grill – Best Overall
- 3 2. Char-Griller E06614 – Best Charcoal Grill Under $200 | Akron Jr. Kamado Kooker Style
- 4 3. PK 99740 Charcoal Grill Smoker Combo – Top Rated Reviews
- 5 4. Char-Broil Gas2Coal – Best Gas Charcoal Combo Grill | Liquid Propane + Charcoal
- 6 5. Weber 15501001 – Best Charcoal Grill For The Money
- 7 6. Expert Grill Heavy Duty Charcoal Grill – Best Under $300
- 8 7. Char-Griller 16620 – Best Charcoal Grill Smoker Combo (Runner Up)
- 9 8. Weber 121020 – Go-Anywhere Best Portable Charcoal Grill
- 10 9. Broil King 911470 – Good Charcoal Barbecue(BBQ) Grill
- 11 10. Wemk Portable Thickened Stainless Steel Grill – Cheap (Under $100)
- 12 11. Royal Gourmet BBQ Charcoal Grill with Offset Smoker – Good Under $200 (Runner Up)
- 13 Buyers Guide
Top Rated Charcoal Barbecue Grills Reviews
|Weber 741001||22 Inch|
|Char-Griller E06614||14 Inch|
|PK 99740||300 sq Inch|
|Char-Broil Gas2Coal||540 sq Inch|
|Weber 15501001||22 Inch|
|Expert Grill||24 Inch|
|Char-Griller 16620||314 sq Inch|
|Weber 121020||160 sq inch|
|Broil King 911470||480 sq inch|
|Wemk Portable||18 Inch|
|Royal Gourmet BBQ||30 Inch|
1. Weber 741001 Original Kettle Charcoal Grill – Best Overall
Weber charcoal grills are so popular among users for long while because of its outstanding performance. People often ask, why weber charcoal grills are the best? And we have one simple answer, user-friendly models. So we also begin our review with best weber charcoal grill. This weber original kettle charcoal grill provides steel cooking grate which is 22-inch in diameter. Thus, 22-inch diameter offers total of 363 sq inches of cooking space. This much space is enough to fit up to 13 medium size burgers at once. Therefore, making it best charcoal grill for medium to large size family. Also this heavy-duty steel cooking grate is durable and easy to clean. Along with that, it holds up heat evenly which in turn gives beautiful sear marks to your chicken or steak. Above all, less price of this weber unit makes it best charcoal grill under $100.
Weber 741001 original kettle is a breeze to clean because of its one-touch cleaning feature. This feature provides hassle-free cleanup of charcoal ash and debris by simply pulling small handle at bottom of the unit. After the grilling process is over, all ash, debris or leftover coal settles at the base of bowl. And few inches down from bottom bowl, weber provides an in-built rust-resistant ash catcher tray. Thus, gently pull handle at bottom and all ash will directly fall into the tray. As a result, cleaning this weber charcoal grill becomes much more easy and comfortable.
Round design of the unit along with superior quality lid and bowl retains heat. This in turn, provides consistent temperature and even cooking of food. Also high quality finish of lid and bowl prevents rusting, cracking and peeling. Therefore, this is best charcoal grill from weber which is durable as well as portable. The two wheels at the bottom allows you to move the unit around your yard. Also lid hook allows you to conveniently hang lid on side of the grill rather than placing it on ground. Conclusively, it is best charcoal grill under $100 with large cooking grate is perfect for BBQ parties.
2. Char-Griller E06614 – Best Charcoal Grill Under $200 | Akron Jr. Kamado Kooker Style
Next on our best charcoal grill reviews we have a kamado kooker from char-griller. Its triple insulation wall is responsible for maximum heating. Also steel walls of this Char-Griller e06614 Akorn JR. Kamado Kooker will last for years. What makes the unit more reliable is its cast iron cooking grate. This grate measures 153 sq feet of total cooking area. Further, small size of the unit makes it easy to carry. Also, it provides 2 durable handles for easy portability and grilling on the go. Therefore, it is best charcoal grill for camping and picnics. In addition, short legs of this Akorn JR. Kamado Kooker holds the unit firmly at its place. However, it does not have wheels at base. But absence of wheels is what makes this charcoal grill best for camping.
Be it chicken, turkey or steak, with this kamado style grill you will get even cooking every time. Its triple walls are responsible for retaining high temperatures up to 700 degrees Fahrenheit. And with this much high temperature you can grill ribs, chicken legs or whatever you love. Furthermore, you get total of 2 dampers to control heat inside the unit. Also this Akorn JR. Kamado Kooker provides an in-built temperature gauge. This steel temperature gauge ranges from 200-700 degrees F. And grilling becomes much more easier when you know correct temperature. Thus, making it best charcoal grill with temperature gauge.
It is really easy to reach high temperature with few pieces of coal. As a result, it helps to get beautiful sear marks on food as well as saves coal. Besides that, handles on side of the unit is responsible for its portability. Therefore, you can take this small charcoal grill to camping, RV or tailgating. And above all, cost of this small unit is not too high which makes it best charcoal grill under $200.
3. PK 99740 Charcoal Grill Smoker Combo – Top Rated Reviews
Cast aluminium construction of this
Pk grill is among one of the best award winning charcoal grills. They have consistently received many awards for outstanding design and performance. Therefore, its unique capsule shape and 4 vents makes it easy for you to control temperature. Moreover, light weight of the unit makes it easy to carry it along with you during camping or tailgating. Conclusively, it is best charcoal grill having big cooking area perfect for large family.
4. Char-Broil Gas2Coal – Best Gas Charcoal Combo Grill | Liquid Propane + Charcoal
Moving ahead, we have best gas and charcoal grill combo from char-broil. By combo we mean, it is both a charcoal grill as well as a gas grill. Basically it is a hybrid grill which wears the name, gas and charcoal grill. This unit quickly and easily converts from gas grill to charcoal grill without using any tools. So with this
Apart from being one the best gas and charcoal grill, this unit have beautiful exterior. Further, this char broil charcoal grill offers side shelf where you can place utensils, sauces or flavoring ingredients. Also you can get same model which includes side shelf as well as side burner. Moreover, it provides 540 sq inches of total cooking area with 420 sq inch of primary cooking area. With this much area you can easily prepare delicious barbecue for many persons. Thus, it is
Unlike having normal coal tray, this char broil charcoal grill special charcoal tray. What makes this tray special is its design. It reduces flare ups when using charcoal function of the grill. While on the other hand, cast iron grates are rust-resistant, sturdy and easy to clean. Besides, the unit includes a slot for placing propane tank safely. And above all, starting the unit is very easy. Just turn on the knob, push the button and your char broil charcoal grill will start instantly.
5. Weber 15501001 – Best Charcoal Grill For The Money
Here we have another weber charcoal grill on our best charcoal grill reviews. This weber model is one complete package for all barbecue need. First of all, it is spacious and attractive looking. Secondly, it provides space and container for storing coal. This in-built coal container makes it easy for you to simply grab and add coal to the grill. Also it eliminates hassle of storing coals. Further, lightning coals is super easy as you do not need lighter fluid. Simply press a button to ignite coals and begin grilling. Other than that, weber 15501001 deluxe charcoal grill provides work table to place seasoning ingredients or plates. As a result, working becomes so more convenient and comfortable.
One-touch cleaning system is what makes weber charcoal grills so famous. It provides removable ash tray which catches ash and debris of charcoal. After cooking food, simply turn the handle and take out ash pan and empty the contents. Other feature include sturdy fuel grate wherein you can place coals for either direct or indirect cooking. Also, it is very easy to control temperature inside grill without lifting lid. This is possible by adjusting dampers. In case, you wish to stop grilling, simply close the dampers. This in turn will cut oxygen supply and turn off your weber charcoal grill.
One interesting feature of this weber charcoal grill is, it provides LCD timer. You can make use of this feature to set time for preheat and grilling session. This way you do not have to remember how much time is still remaining for food to cook. In case you do not wish to use timer, you can simply detach it from the unit. Overall, it is best charcoal grill from weber that will give you an unforgettable grilling experience.
6. Expert Grill Heavy Duty Charcoal Grill – Best Under $300
When budget is a barrier, all you seek is good performing unit that costs less. So here we present you one best cheap charcoal grill from expert grill. In spite of having such a less price, features of this unit are outstanding. Therefore, it is one of the
Total of 4 vents helps to maintain proper airflow inside this heavy duty charcoal grill. Also it consists of in-built thermometer on lid which allows you to view current temperature inside unit. This thermometer shows temperature range between 200 to 800 degree F. And with this much temperature raise, you can cook delicious food having beautiful sear marks. Furthermore, it provides space on bottom of the unit wherein you can place charcoal bag. Or you can also use this space for keeping extra dishes, sauces or food. This in turn, increases user comfort and makes it a best charcoal grill under 300 dollars.
7. Char-Griller 16620 – Best Charcoal Grill Smoker Combo (Runner Up)
Grilling becomes so much fun when you get great cooking space. And enjoyment doubles when size of the unit is compact and does not require much space. So next product on our best charcoal grill reviews is exactly the same. This
Triple-wall insulation retains heat while cast iron grates helps to transfer heat evenly. This in turn cooks the meat properly and also give beautiful sear marks. Apart from that, this charcoal grill smoker offers 2 dampers, one at top and another on bottom. While the top damper is perfect for high heat, adjust bottom damper to control airflow. Therefore, when you get good control over airflow, it helps to maintain precise cooking temperature. Hence, it is best small charcoal grill under 300.
Further, this charcoal grill smoker offers 2 side shelves with utensil hooks. These shelves are fold-able so you can push them down when not in use. Also one of these shelves includes utensils hook where you can hang grill tools. Besides that, it features easy-dump ash pan and heat gauge. Overall, it is best charcoal grill smoker for the money.
8. Weber 121020 – Go-Anywhere Best Portable Charcoal Grill
This weber charcoal grill is specially for those who cannot compromise food when they’re out. And by that we mean, this is a portable charcoal grill which is light in weight and small in size. It has rectangular shape which is similar to that of a briefcase. Therefore, due to this shape along with good-grip handle on the top, it becomes easy to carry. Also this reinforced-nylon handle stays cool during cooking so that you can easily life the lid. Other than that, it consists of rectangular steel plate that provides 160 sq inch of cooking area. And this much space can easily fit up to 6 burgers. Also sturdy steel plate is strong and long lasting. Thus, making it best portable charcoal grill for picnics and camping.
The weber portable charcoal grill comprises of 2 adjustable dampers. These dampers are present on the top of lid with each damper having 3 vent holes. Therefore, adjust dampers accordingly in order to set airflow and control cooking temperature. However, it does not include in-built thermometer but that is not an issue as portable units does’t need one. Moreover, low cost of this model makes it best weber charcoal grill under $50.
For safety purpose, weber portable charcoal grill provides pivoting legs that locks the lid into place. Besides that, porcelain enameled coating prevents rust and fading. As a result, the unit looks brand new for long period of time. So conclusively, it is compact, sturdy and portable charcoal grill that is best suitable for picnics, tailgating and camping.
9. Broil King 911470 – Good Charcoal Barbecue(BBQ) Grill
When you get all necessary tools along with sturdy main unit, cooking becomes much more fun. And this product on our best charcoal grill reviews comes with a multi-use tool. Therefore, main purpose of providing multi purpose tool is to ease grilling process. Hence, you can adjust height of grates, rotate damper, etc using this multi-tool. Apart from that, this
Broil king 911470 charcoal barbecue grill provides 2 cooking surfaces. First layer or primary cooking surface is of cast iron that is suitable for thick slices of meat. Whereas, secondary cooking surface which is of heavy-duty steel is best for thin slices of meat or vegetables. In case, if you do not want to use secondary grid then simply pull it out using multi-tool. As a result, it eases access to primary grid so that you can cook your food without any hassle. Thus, dual cooking grids of this charcoal barbecue grill provides maximum user comfort.
The broil king charcoal barbecue grill offers a handy bottle opener just below handle. Therefore, enjoy sips of your favorite beverage while the food is cooking. Further, it includes an in-built temperature gauge that ranges from 100 to 800 degrees F. And for easy cleaning of the unit, it provides pull-out ash tray. So conclusively, it is robust, easy to use and best charcoal barbecue grill that will last for years.
10. Wemk Portable Thickened Stainless Steel Grill – Cheap (Under $100)
Light weight of charcoal grill makes it easy to carry it with you on picnics, camping and tailgating. So here we present you one best charcoal grill which is light in weight as well as low on price. Even though the product costs less, it offers 17-inch diameter of total cooking surface. Therefore, it is
Heavy-duty steel charcoal grate withstands high temperature no matter what type of grilling you do. Therefore, cooking meat with this cheap charcoal grill will give perfect sear marks whether you cook it directly or indirectly. Besides that, it includes aluminium air vent damper on top of the lid for optimum airflow control. However, it only consists of single air vent which in our opinion is good for small units. Apart from that, porcelain-enameled coating bowl and lid retains heat so that you do not have to use more coals.
The unit comes along with barbecue grill tools which makes it best charcoal grill for beginners. And by barbecue tools we mean, it includes BBQ skewers, tongs, 2 grill mats and a grill brush. Also assembly of this product is very easy. It hardly takes 30 minutes to put all parts together. Overall, it is small, portable and best charcoal grill under $100 for small family.
11. Royal Gourmet BBQ Charcoal Grill with Offset Smoker – Good Under $200 (Runner Up)
Last on our best charcoal grill reviews we present you a product having large cooking surface. And due to its massive cooking space it is perfect for big family or backyard parties. In total, royal gourmet BBQ charcoal grill offers 438 sq inches of primary grilling surface. In addition to that, it also contains swing-away warming rack which measures 179 sq inches. Basically, it is kind of secondary cooking area which you can use to keep the food warm and toasty. So overall, you get 800 sq inches of cooking surface which is large enough to cook food for up to 10 persons in one go. In spite of offering so much space, cost of this product is very less. Therefore, it is one of the best charcoal grill under $200.
You get a side smoker where you can place slices of meat in order to give them rich smokey flavor. Also, seamless connection between smoker and grill helps to heat up the unit quickly. Further, tight seal of side smoker ensures heat does not escape while the meat is incorporating smokey flavor. In simple words, seal helps to hold the lid much better which in turn retains heat. Therefore, it is combination of smoker, BBQ and charcoal grill which makes it best product for the money.
Lifting handles makes it easy for you to adjust height of charcoal tray. Thus, simply rotate the handle to reduce distance between tray and cooking grate. As a result, you get better control over temperature which in turn cooks the food properly. Also porcelain wire cooking grates retain heat evenly so as to lock in juices and make the meat more tender. So conclusively, it is best charcoal grill to cook food for large number of people in single round.
Before you start your BBQ, in case if you are going to use grill which barbecue on wood pellet or on natural gas, then try using grill mats made from copper. It protect the ribs or other food from getting burnt and protect the taste of smoke.
1. What is the best way to start a charcoal grill?
When you are using a charcoal grill for first time you might seek
Method 1: Matchstick
- Step 1: Grab the charcoal tray and arrange coals very closely to each other. After arranging them, place it inside the grill.
- Step 2: Now light a matchstick or two and take it near the edge of coals. Therefore, do not just randomly throw matchstick in between the pile of coals as it may result in uneven heating.
- Step 3: Once all the coals catch fire, you are ready to begin your grilling process.
Conclusion: This process is cheap but a little time consuming. Hence, it takes about 10-15 minutes to light all the coals. In case, you have big charcoal tray it might take up to 20 minutes.
Method 2: Lighter Fluid
- Step 1: Same as method 1, arrange coals closely to each other or arrange them in a pyramid structure.
- Step 2: Now its time to pour lighter fluid onto coals. Evenly pour the fluid including sides and top. Then after, let the liquid sit for 2-3 minutes.
- Step 3: Match the coals using a matchstick and let the fire spread to each and every coal. Once the color of coals changes from black to white-gray, you’re ready to begin grilling.
Conclusion: This process is bit fast then simply lighting charcoal grill with a matchstick. However, it is bit dangerous because of involvement of lighter fluid. Make sure you do not spill lighter fluid accidentally on yourself. Also, do not pour lighter fluid when coals are burning.
Method 3: Charcoal chimney
- Step 1: Fill top rack of the chimney with charcoal.
- Step 2: Roll up small pieces of newspaper and stuff inside small holes at bottom of the chimney. Therefore, make sure to keep small portion of newspaper outside of the hole as you will need to lit it up. In case you have hardwood charcoal, you can make use of it instead of newspaper. Or you can simply use both if you wish.
- Step 3: Now carefully lit newspaper or hardwood charcoal using match or a lighter. Then after, wait for charcoal to burn and change its color to white-gray.
- Step 4: Carefully lift the chimney and pour the charcoal directly on the grill. In case, if the coals does not spread properly you can make use of tongs to arrange them. Finally, place the cooking grate above grill and start cooking.
Conclusion: This method is dangerous and you must perform it very carefully. For safety you can make use of heat-safe rubber gloves.
2. Best lump charcoal for grilling
It is important to pick best lump charcoal for grilling as it will eventually result in perfect cooking. Not only that, a good lump charcoal will keep burning for long period of time. As a result, it saves charcoal as well as eliminates need to refill charcoal grate while cooking. So below are some of the best lump charcoal for grilling, have a look at them for best grilling experience.
- Jealous Devil: The company offers 100% natural hardwood lump charcoal. And due to its 100% purity, these lump is ideal for any grill or kamado kooker.
- Original Natural Charcoal: From the name itself it becomes clear that the product is 100% natural. And indeed, it is all natural, organic and free from chemicals. Also unique blend of apple, cherry and oak trees incorporates delicious flavor into meat.
- Cowboy: Cowboy offers total 3 packs of lump wood charcoal. And they provide mixture of small and big woods. Therefore, big wood chunks are best to get smoky flavor.
- Weber: If you like sweet and smoky flavor then here’s a best product for you. Weber offers apple wood chunks that gives subtle sweet flavor to meat. Also you get different size choices.
3. How to clean a charcoal grill?
Cleaning of charcoal grill ensures long life of the unit as well as makes it hygienic for future use. If you’re using your grill after long time, make sure to clean it properly to get best results. And cleaning a charcoal grill is very easy and hardly requires 10 minutes to thoroughly clean it. Thus, follow below steps to clean a charcoal grill properly.
- First of all, grab all necessary cleaning items like gloves, aluminium foil, brush and paper bags.
- Then after, take out cooking and grill grate and scrub them using grill brush. Doing this will scrub away all dirt and debris present on grill surface.
- Next step is to make a medium size ball out of aluminium foil. After making ball, rub it against grill surfaces. This in turn helps to remove small debris from grate’s surface.
- Now empty all the remaining ash into the ash pan. All of the products in our best charcoal grill reviews provides ash tray to dump renaming of charcoal. This in turn, eases cleaning of the unit.
- Collect all the charcoal remaining into disposable paper or plastic bag. And one last time, use grill brush to scrap away all debris from base of the grill.
- Now that cleaning of charcoal grill is complete, keep all grates back into their respective place.
Friendly Advice: After cleaning charcoal grill apply oil to cooking grates with the help of oiling brush. Doing this will prevent food from sticking it to grill. And if possible, do apply oil to grate one more time before beginning to cook food. This will also reduce chances of food sticking to cooking grate. So as a result, you will have excellent grilling experience with your best charcoal grill.